What are 5 Secrets Every Parent Should Know Before Meet The Teacher. I have thought many moons about this post, and being that I am a school teacher who doesn’t love a good secret every now and again.
If you have landed on this page, make sure that you get a pencil and paper so that these secrets become very helpful for you very soon.
“5 Secrets Every Parent Should Know Before Meet The Teacher Night”
Secret #1 School Supplies…….
- School Supplies: When you get those school supply lists make sure to look them over very carefully. There are things that aren’t needed on that list. I am so happy when parents purchase extra composition notebooks, and loose leaf paper. As times progresses, and moves forward please keep in mind that your child may have 2 teachers, or more. This is for the sake of grade levels being blocked two ways, or three ways. This is the biggest secret to the school supplies so listen closely. Make sure to ask the teacher if there is anything else that he or she may need. There are a million things that is going through the mind of a teacher such as meeting you and preparing for this day. Believe me there are a few things that are still needed to make it a successful school year. Parents that take the time to ask makes the teacher aware that you are willing to go out of your way for your child’s success. This also creates a very smooth year when they are running low on any of their supplies. One last thing purchasing your student their own pencil sharpener can be a good thing. There are times through the year where the classroom sharpener is on the “FRITZ”!! (yikes)…. It happens..
Secret #2 Extra Clothes……….
- Extra Clothes: OMG!!!! Ok, parents this has been a much debated topic even for a 5th grader. I have been a teacher for the last 15 years, and it is imperative that even if your child is in 5th grade they have a change of clothes. This school year alone I have had kids not make it to the restroom from the playground. Kids enjoy recess and when they are in it, they are in it. I have watched my “babies” wait until the last minute to go to the restroom and NOT make it!!!! Also, some of my friends may fall in a 50/50 (half dry, half wet) mud puddle on the playground. My little dudes have also fell and skinned a knee, and tore their pants. Here is the ultimate clothes secret if they have an accident don’t forget the “SOCKS”, I have seen the pee go straight to the socks. (OH NOOOOO)!!!
Secret#3 School Paper Work……..
- School Paper Work: Teachers see this every year, and it does really well for a lot of children. Usually on our campus the folders go home on a Wednesday. There usually are parent helpers that will stuff the folders for the teachers, or stuff the teachers’ mailbox with the papers that need to go home. Teachers do work tirelessly trying to grade papers, and make sure they send home all relevant paper work. Teachers have also seen students’ take home papers and come back to school with an untouched folder.
- This can mean that the parents have seen the papers, but not emptied the folder. Second, this could also means that the folder was never opened. Parents please remember that some of those papers are time sensitive, and need to be returned ASAP!! The biggest secret for the school paper work is that also if your student has graded work in the folder, this is an awesome time to review the graded work. There may be an assignment in the folder where your student has NOT done well, and reviewing it can be helpful especially if the teacher hasn’t tested over the material yet.
Secret #4 Emails, Phone Calls, and Emergency Contact……
- Email, Phone Calls, and Emergency Contact: This is “BIG” for me so make sure that you read this secret fine print. (LOL) Ok, teachers have to live and die by those emails. Teachers have to constantly check their email daily throughout the day. Instead of the principals getting over the loud speaker to speak to the masses, he or she will email the teachers for a faster response. There are teachers that are really great about returning emails, phone calls, or just plain ole good contact immediately!! Here is the secret 90% of the time the teacher has set up a great mode of contact when you meet at “Meet The Teacher”, if that works best please participate. My biggest method of communicating with parents, and keeping them up to speed is an app called Remind 101. This app is freaking amazing and it WORKS!!!!! This app allows you to sign up through text message, you can send pictures, and text. The teacher and parent can communicate endlessly through this system during the school year.
- There is also a chat function on the Remind 101 app. When the school year is complete all you have to do is REPLY using the word STOP!!! If your child’s teacher isn’t familiar tell them about it. Make sure to return emergency contact forms, and everyone on list is viable….
Secret #5 Setting Up Conferences, and Open Door Policies……
- Make sure at “Meet The Teacher” that you get conference times for your child’s teacher. This is imperative for the success of your little nugget. If it’s a good, or maybe an uneasy conference always come with an open mind. One thing I have noticed as an educator whether to myself, or a colleague. Children that are sometimes NOT happy with the teachers choices will go home and twist the story!!! Please DO NOT come in attack mode you might be surprised of what your child may be doing in that teacher’s class. I usually set up a home journal where both parties can communicate back and forth with no harshness in between. This journal serves as almost like a year long story book between the teacher, and parent. If you are NOT happy with something talk with teacher first, before going to administration. I am almost positive you will find a solution with the teacher. Going to principal first kind of throws up those war lines, and from things I have seen in past, it doesn’t always work in favor of your child.
- Teachers have an open-door policy, and if something isn’t feeling okay pop in and visit that classroom. You have that right to peep in on your child. If you have any questions for the teacher prior to first initial meeting, write them down and ask.
P.S. Freebie secret……..
- Teachers are NOT out to hurt, harm, or get your child… There are honestly some amazing teachers out there, and they will go to WAR for your kids. Remember parents that your NOT there for every moment of that day. You won’t see every hug, laugh, and conversation that is so utterly meaningful. Try to get to know your child’s teacher, bring them a nice to meet you snack (LOL) we love snacks.. I promise when you make this a working relationship they will go to BAT for that baby. Remember don’t take just one snapshot, there are so many you may be missing..
I love comments, so please if you have any questions leave them below. I promise I will answer all questions… Teachers what are your thoughts…