Holiday Stress Can Take It’s Toll On Anyone……..
Holiday stress, or blues can literally make you feel as though that your smothering. It can bring about so much JOY at one moment, then intense sadness at other times. We run around trying to make sure that everything is perfect for the holidays. We also put so much pressure on ourselves to be GREAT, when we just need to know that we are GREAT anyway! There has been more than a time or two where I have struggled to get through the holidays. This struggle became even harder when my mom died. My mom not only passed away, but she died 5 days after Christmas. I remember not being able to even enjoy Christmas that particular year.
Every year that Christmas rolls around, and or just the holidays it can be so tough for me. I challenge myself season after season to remain steadfast in being the happiest that I can be. Some years I have to work harder than others to beat those holiday BLUES... Jerral always finds moments where he catches me “mentally escaping somewhere”. He will ask me where did you go? Sometimes I don’t even know where I went. Recently the other day we took my little guy to the movies to see “WONDER” (which is a really amazing film). There was a scene from the movie that brought me to the biggest crocodile tears.
5 Ways To Beat The Holiday Blues For Any Reason At All…….
I’ve come up with a few ways to help you cope with the holiday stress, and find your happy spot in the world. My mom taught me some wonderful things about the type of mother I should be to my boys. I am forever grateful for her life lessons, when the parenting part gets hard I think back. 🙂
- Set Priorities- Choose 3 things that are most important to you this year and realize that every year is different. We find ourselves in different situations and stages of life and be realistic about what to expect from you!
- Plan Downtime- Give yourself some time to just “BE” without having to meet anyone’s expectations. That goes hand in hand with being a mom, wife, judge, lawyer, nurse, saint whatever!!!!!
- Keep A Gratitude Journal- Each day write down 5 things that you are grateful for. Throughout each day, keep your eye out for things to write down into your journal. It’s amazing how life changing this can be once your laser focused. This can have such a HUGE impact on the way you look at life! You can use any journal for this. (If you read this post to the end, I will mail you a gratitude journal. (1st person to leave me a comment below). There shouldn’t be any excuse for you to feel great, and be great!
- It’s Ok To Grieve- Believe me I know about this one. Losing my mom 5 days after Christmas was tough! I am not the only person who has lost someone during any day of the season. The holidays bring about more than sadness, can be anger too! Whether your grieving a lost loved one or heartbroken about changes in your life accept that it’s okay to be sad during the holidays. Sometimes we feel things must be perfect to the point we make it harder for ourselves to feel.
- Surround Yourself With Positive Things- Put the right people in your circle especially if this is a very hard time of year for you. Sometimes negative people leave a stain that doesn’t need to be there. Positivity brings its own personal joy with it, and let that other nonsense go. I’ll be honest I have lost a few negative friends a long the way, here and there. I couldn’t stand that negative vibe, and it would bring me to a bad place. It’s okay some people are baggage, and they aren’t meant to be there.
What are some things that are hard during the holidays? I would love to help, if you need me!